Commemorating the achievements of the iconic Indian citizens and organizations for their outstanding achievements and remarkable contributions to the society, Network18 felicitated the winners of CNN-News18 Indian of the Year 2017 today in New Delhi. The glittering ceremony witnessed presence of some of the most prominent personalities from all walks of life. The line-up of eminent guests included Virat Kohli, Manushi Chhillar, Rajkummar Rao, Arun Jaitley, Kapil Dev, Afroz Shah to name a few.
Speaking on the occasion, Avinash Kaul, Managing Director of A+E Networks | TV18 & President – Network 18 said, “CNN News18 Indian of the Year’ celebrates achievers who have been exceptional contributors to our society in their respective fields. We at CNN-News18 are privileged to recognize these achievers so that they can continue to inspire the nation. We wish all the winners many congratulations.”
The event which saw a grand turnout of dignitaries from all walks of life, was followed widely on social media and trended on twitter with #IndianoftheYear all through the evening. The audience included not just the ones seated at the venue but also across the nation through LIVE telecast on CNN-News18 and the live blog on News18.com.
Radhakrishnan Nair, Managing Editor, CNN-News18, said, “The CNN-News18 Indian of the Year has evolved over the last eleven years into a platform of recognition for Indians who have pushed the envelope. It has recognized people from all walks of life, from the Acid Attack Victims who fought for justice to soldiers who fought to protect the country and to Prime Ministers running the Nation. The selection process has always been of gold standards and has had its set of challenges. In a country of a billion people, how do you select who was the best in their respective fields. This year, the competition was even fiercer and a greater challenge for us. My heartiest congratulations to all the winners this year.”
Instituted in 2006, the CNN-News18 Indian of the Year has over the years achieved credibility unmatched by others in the media industry. The award distinguishes itself by celebrating not only exemplary individuals and their achievements but also the ideas that have inspired India and impacted lives of the citizens. The awards adhere to a transparent and robust selection process that includes drawing up a list of nominees, further leading to the final selection of winners by the Editorial board of the news channel. Over the years, the recipients of this prestigious award have included People of Chennai (2015) Prime Minister Narendra Modi (2014), the NGO Stop Acid Attacks (2013), Indian Chess Grandmaster Vishwanathan Anand (2012), Anna Hazare (2011), Bihar CM Nitish Kumar (2010), A R Rahman(2009), G Madhavan Nair (2008), E Sreedharan (2007) and Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (2006).
Quotes of the key dignitaries
Actor Rajkummar Rao said,
- We should not have preconceived notions about any film before seeing it. We have a government certified body — the CBFC — which is responsible for passing the film. Once you see a film — I don’t mean only Padmavati — you often find there’s no distortion of facts (or history) as is alleged
- I do feel nervous, but it’s that nervous energy that keeps me going. It’s been a wonderful journey so far. I saw this dream — of being a film actor — in this very city, Delhi. In fact, my mother believed in this dream even more than me. So it feels like a dream. It’s tough in the film industry, but I’m grateful for the way my family, teachers, friends have stood by me. The way Patralekha has stood by me. I hope (this good fortune) continues
Indian Cricket Team Coach, Ravi Shastri and Former Captain Kapil Dev said,
- Ravi Shastri: South Africa tour will be an opportunity to prove ourselves. The key to success abroad is consistency. And this team has it in them to win abroad. I don’t see any reason why these boys can’t perform
- Kapil Dev:
o I think the team has reached a level where they can beat anyone.”
o “Be it South Africa..or Australia, I think we have a captain who understands how the team functions
o The only problem that the team is going to face is that whom they are going to pick in the playing XI, as we have a very strong bench
Indian Cricket Team Captain, Virat Kohli said,
- It’s my honour to give this award to Manushi. Hope we can keep making the county proud in the future as well
- They’re far more senior than us so they (the women) should be talking about us than the other way round,” Virat said, on being asked to comment about the women’s team’s achievements. “We sent them our best wishes when they were headed for the World Cup and were gutted (when they didn’t win)
- Whatever target they give us tomorrow, we’re going for it. If there’s any hesitation or anyone wants to oppose it, you tell me right now, or we go to our rooms knowing we’re going to meet the target. So it hurt a lot not to cross the line, but it gave us a lot of confidence as a team that we could win anywhere.
Miss World Manushi Chhillar said,
- I worked very hard for that (MBBS) seat, and I’m not letting go of that so easily. Not even for Bollywood
- Motherhood anywhere in the world is a one-way relationship. For instance, no matter what I do, I know I cannot repay my mother for what she’s done for me. So it’s always going to be a one-way relationship